Monday, January 10, 2011

Simple joy is...

Simple joy is probing someone's mouth and finding an 8mm pocket! Today I had a patient that I do not know. Her last cleaning was 6-7 months ago. I figured she would be a 1b classification. As I was probing her mouth, everything was looking good, her tissues and papilla looked pink and healthy, but when I came to tooth #14, I found an 8mm pocket! I was so excited! Is that twisted thinking since this patient obviously has perio? It was just so exciting to actually see what a deep pocket felt like. I took two PAs on her and sure enough, two of her quads are class III and two of her quads are class II. I am very confused however by the way that her gingiva looks healthy and her PFI was 93%! I didn't even know how to explain to her why she has perio disease. She is coming back on Wednesday so that we can begin her cleaning. I'm excited and nervous! I am never really done subgingival scaling. Wednesday will definitely be a day of firsts!

3 comments:

Heather Feather said...

I remember my first pt. He was a class 2, and I thought I was going to die! I don't mind a class 2 pt as long as they show up! I'm so hjappy that you were able to find a class 3. Practice hard on getting rid of that cal. I love pt who clean their mouths!!!

Victoria Stauffer Thacher said...

WAY TO GO! lol yeah it's sad when you pray for people who don't take care of their mouths lol. I'm happy for you though you looked relaxed too! So keep up the good work.

emily said...

That is so cool! I can't wait to see wait a real pocket feels like when probing. Only us, right?